Academic Regulations



Students who enter UCR as freshmen will normally follow the catalog in effect in their first year of studies. Transfer students who have completed appropriate transfer programs have prior catalog rights. Check with the college dean's office for more information.

Academic Senate Regulation R6.12 states as follows: To be awarded the bachelor's degree, a student must either (a) meet graduation requirements in the UCR catalog in effect in the year of his/her graduation from the Riverside campus; or (b) fulfill graduation requirements in one UCR catalog applicable during any of the previous four years in which the student successfully completed at least one quarter or one semester of full-time college-level work, regardless of where matriculated. Upon applying for candidacy, the student must specify the applicable catalog.


UCR operates under the quarter system. For purposes of transfer credit, units earned under the semester system are converted to quarter units at the time of admission, with 1 semester unit equal to 11/2 quarter units.

At UCR, courses are assigned a unit value determined by the number of hours of work per week required of the student. Specifically, Academic Senate regulations require three hours of work per week for each unit of credit. For example, in a 4-unit course scheduled to meet four hours per week, a student is expected to spend eight hours of preparation outside of class.

Grades in courses are assigned as follows:

Passing "A" (distinction), "B" (high pass), "C" (pass), "D" (marginal pass). Grade point values per unit are as follows: "A"=4, "B"=3, "C"=2, "D"=1. The grades "A," "B," "C," and "D" may be modified by plus (+) or minus (-) suffixes. Minus grades carry three-tenths grade point less per unit, and plus grades (excluding "A+") carry three-tenths grade point more per unit than unsuffixed grades.

Not passing "F" (failure). No grade point value.

Grade Delay "GD." Assigned temporarily when grade posting is delayed for administrative reasons. Students who see "GD" on their grade report or transcript should contact their instructor for clarification.

Incomplete "I." Units are not charged and grade points are not assigned.

Withdrawal "W." Course dropped after the second week of classes. Units are not charged and grade points are not assigned.

The grade point average (GPA) is determined by multiplying each grade point value by the number of units assigned to the course, adding up these grade point units, and dividing the total grade point units by the total number of units for which letter grades are received. The grade point balance, also calculated on the transcript, represents the number of grade point units students have earned above or below the GPA required for their degree objective. In the case of undergraduates, it is a "C" average (2.00); for graduate students, it is a "B" average (3.00).

Satisfactory/No Credit Grades

A student in good standing may undertake courses on a Satisfactory/No Credit (S/NC) basis subject to the following limitations. The grade "S" will be awarded for work satisfactory for unit credit in meeting degree requirements. For undergraduates the requirement is a "C" average (2.00); for graduate students it is a "B" average (3.00). Units are assigned for courses graded "S," but "S" has no grade point equivalent and does not enter the GPA. Neither units nor grade points are assigned for an "NC" grade; the grade is recorded on the record card but does not enter the GPA.

Some graduate courses and some undergraduate courses may, in accordance with regulations, be designated for grading on an S/NC basis only. Graduate courses are letter graded unless the course description specifies otherwise. In certain preidentified graduate courses, the department may allow a third (residual) category in which a graduate student may elect to take a course on an S/NC basis, provided that the graduate advisor consents. (Graduate students must petition to take undergraduate courses outside their major on an S/NC basis, and may not take undergraduate courses in their major on an S/NC basis.) Students should consult the Graduate School of Education before electing courses on an S/NC basis to be used for a teaching credential.

Students enrolled in an undergraduate degree program may receive credit for courses undertaken and graded "S" on the UCR campus to a limit of one-third of the total units undertaken and passed on the Riverside campus at the time the degree is awarded. Units completed on another campus of the university by a Riverside undergraduate student enrolled as an intercampus visitor are considered Riverside work for the purposes of this regulation.

Courses required in or prerequisite to the undergraduate student's major subject may be taken on an S/NC basis only on approval of the chair of the student's department (or other primary instructional unit) in each individual case. A student on "limited" status may take courses on an S/NC basis at the discretion of the dean of the school or college in which the student is enrolled. Courses in the X or XR300, X400, or 300 series are not subject to the one-third limitation on courses graded "S." For additional limitations on 300 and 400 series courses, see individual college sections in the Undergraduate Studies section of this catalog.

A student may elect "S/NC" or delete "S/NC" from a course by filing a petition with the Registrar. The deadline is the end of the eighth week of instruction and is listed each quarter in the Schedule of Classes.

Incomplete Grades

The grade "I" (incomplete) is a provisional grade which denotes that a student's work was of passing quality but incomplete for good cause. Units attempted are not charged for courses graded "I." The grade of "I" may be replaced if the work is completed as specified by the instructor prior to the end of the following quarter. When a course graded "I" has not been successfully completed after one additional quarter or by the time the student is ready to graduate, whichever is less, it will be replaced by a grade of "F," or by "NC" if the course were taken on an S/NC basis. The appropriate dean may extend the time for successful completion when he or she considers that circumstances warrant it, provided the request is received before the grade "I" is changed to "F" or "NC."

In Progress Grades

For certain courses extending over more than one term, where, by consent of the Academic Senate, evaluation of the student's performance may be deferred until the end of the final term, provisional grades of "IP" (in progress) shall be assigned in the intervening terms.

Neither units nor grade points shall be assigned for "IP" grades. The provisional grades shall be replaced by the final grade if the student completes the full sequence. In the event that the full sequence is not completed, the grade "IP" will be replaced by the grade "I," and further changes in the student's record will be subject to regulations governing the grade "I."

Workload Credit

Workload credit is given for UCR classes preparatory to regular university work. Currently this includes MATH 003. Workload credit does not carry units for graduation but does count as part of a student's academic course load and enrollment status.

Repetition of Courses

Repetition of courses not authorized to be taken more than once for credit is subject to the following conditions: Generally, a student may repeat only those courses in which a grade of "D," "F," or "NC" was received.

In some circumstances, students may repeat a "C-" in order to satisfy an academic requirement.

For example, in courses taken to meet the Entry Level Writing Requirement, such as ENGL 004 and ENGL 005, students must earn a grade of "C" or higher to satisfy the requirement, so students who receive a grade of "C-" may repeat the course. However, repeating a course in which a "C-" was earned does not alter the grade point average.

Degree credit for a course will be given only once, but the grade assigned at each enrollment shall be permanently recorded. In computing the grade-point average of an undergraduate who repeats courses in which the student received a "D" or an "F," only the most recently earned grades and grade points shall be used for the first 16 units repeated. In the case of further repetitions, the GPA shall be based on all grades assigned and the total units attempted. Courses in which a grade of "D" or "F" has been earned may not be repeated on an S/NC basis. Repetition of a course more than once requires approval by the appropriate dean in all instances.

Students should be aware that some professional and graduate schools will count the grades for all courses, including those repeated, in calculating a student's GPA. The GPA used by such schools could differ significantly from that shown on a student's UCR transcript.

The Department of Veterans Affairs will not consider toward full time those units which are a repeat of courses in which a grade of "D-" has been received, unless a higher grade in the course is specifically required for graduation. Contact Student Special Services, (951) 827-3861, for additional details.

Change of Grade

All grades except "I" and "IP" become final when they are assigned. No term grade may be revised by reexamination. No change of grade may be made on the basis of reassessment of the quality of a student's work. An instructor may approve and report to the Registrar a correction of a recorded course grade at any time if clerical or procedural error has been made in assigning, transmitting, or recording the original grade.

Procedures for the Appeal of Grades

The Regulations of the Riverside Division of the Academic Senate state that if a student believes that nonacademic criteria have been used in determining a grade, the student shall attempt to resolve the grievance with the instructor of the course through written appeal to the instructor via the chair of the department. If the grievance is not resolved to the student's satisfaction at the departmental level, the student may file a complaint with the dean of the college or school having jurisdiction over the course or with the dean of the Graduate Division if the student is in graduate status. The complaint should be filed immediately after the alleged use of nonacademic criteria but no later than six weeks after the beginning of the subsequent quarter. Nonacademic criteria are criteria not directly reflective of class performance, such as discrimination on political grounds or for reasons of race, religion, sex, or ethnic origin or for other arbitrary or personal reasons.

Final Examinations

The instructor in charge of an undergraduate course shall be responsible for assigning the final grade in the course. The final grade shall reflect the student's achievement in the course and shall be based upon adequate evaluation of that achievement. The instructor's methods of evaluation must be clearly announced during the progress of the course. Evaluation methods must be of reasonable duration and difficulty, and must be in accord with applicable departmental policies. The methods may include a final written examination, a term paper, a final oral examination, a take-home examination, or other evaluation device. If a final written examination is given, it shall not exceed three hours in duration and shall be given only at the time and place announced in the Schedule of Classes. No student shall be excused from assigned final examinations.

Backdating Units

Undergraduate students who have no more than two courses or 8 units of course work remaining to be completed in their program for the bachelor's degree at UCR and who have been approved for admission to graduate status may begin the course work for an advanced degree at the beginning of their final quarter of undergraduate study. The student must inform the college office prior to enrollment in course work. When students are registered in graduate status, they then petition for credit for the courses completed beyond those required for a bachelor's degree. The petition must be signed by the dean of the school or college, attesting to the fact that the student's deficiency was as stated, and the petition is subject to approval by the department and the dean of the Graduate Division.

Credit by Examination

Credit by examination may be earned in accordance with regulations established by each college. The student should consult the Undergraduate Studies section of this catalog for specific regulations.

A UCR student in residence may take examinations for degree credit in courses offered on the campus without formally enrolling in them. The results of the examinations are entered upon the student's record. There is a $5 service charge for each petition.

Undergraduate Credit for Graduate Courses

Students interested in obtaining undergraduate credit for graduate courses should contact the office of the dean of their college for further information.

Class Standing

Class Standing

Classification Completed Units
  Freshman 0-44.9
  Sophomore 45-89.9
  Junior 90-134.9
  Senior 135 or more
  Second Baccalaureate
Credential Programs
Medical Program
Doctoral 1 (not advanced to candidacy)
Doctoral 2 (advanced to candidacy)

Undergraduate classification is determined by the number of quarter units earned. Postbaccalaureate and graduate classifications are based on the student's academic objective and whether or not the student is advanced to candidacy for a doctorate.

Scholarship Regulations

Academic Standing To remain in good academic standing a student must maintain a GPA of at least 2.00 and make progress toward the degree at a satisfactory rate.

Academic Probation Students will be placed on academic probation if, at the end of any term, their GPA for the term is less than 2.00 but greater than 1.50, or their cumulative GPA, computed on the total of all courses undertaken in the university, is less than 2.00 ("C" average).

Academic Disqualification Students are subject to disqualification from further registration in the university (a) if, at the end of any term, their GPA for that term is less than 1.50 or (b) if, after two terms on academic probation, their cumulative GPA, computed on the total of all courses undertaken in the university, is less than 2.00 ("C" average).

If, after one quarter on academic probation, the cause for probation has not been removed, Student Special Services is required to notify the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), and benefits may be terminated. Students who are allowed by the university to continue may file a request for resumption of benefits with Student Special Services.

Students who become subject to the provisions of this regulation will also be subject to such supervision as the faculty of their college may determine. The faculty may disqualify a student under its supervision from further registration in the university or, by suspending the provisions of this regulation, may permit a student subject to disqualification to remain in the university.

Undergraduate students who are disqualified are excluded from the university, and their connection with the university is presumed to be ended by such exclusion. Under certain circumstances, disqualified students may be readmitted upon their petition to the college and interview with the dean. Ordinarily, students will not be readmitted until after the lapse of a year and unless their deficiencies are reparable within a reasonable period of time. During the period of disqualification, a student must give evidence of conduct which indicates that improved academic performance can be expected upon readmission. If readmitted, students must remove their deficiencies through above-average work undertaken in the university. It is usually required that all deficiencies be removed during the first year after readmission.

To transfer from one campus of the university to another, or from one college to another on the same campus, students who have been disqualified or who are on probation must obtain the approval of the appropriate dean to whose jurisdiction transfer is sought. Upon completion of the transfer, the students are subject to such supervision as the faculty of their college may determine.

Graduate students must maintain an average of at least three grade points per unit in all upper-division and graduate courses taken for letter grade during residence at the UC. Only courses in which the student is assigned grades "A," "B," or "C," or equivalent, may be counted in satisfaction of the requirements for the master's degree. Graduate students who acquire scholarship deficiencies are subject to action by the dean of the Graduate Division.

Programs for Outstanding Students

Departments of the colleges offer and administer various courses and honors programs for specially prepared, outstanding students. In some departments, equivalent special studies and seminar programs have been designed for students with special aptitudes. Interested students should consult their faculty advisors early for details of the program in their major department.


Chancellor's Honor List Students who are placed on the dean's honor list for all three quarters in a single academic year (fall, winter, and spring) will be placed on the Chancellor's Honor List for that academic year.

Dean's Honor List Any student who in any quarter completes a minimum of 12 units with letter grades, with no grade in any course below a "B" and no grade of "NC" or "I," and who has a GPA of 3.50 or better for all work undertaken in the university for that quarter, will be placed on the Dean's Honor List.

Graduation with Honors The Academic Senate has established the following standards for award of honors at graduation: No more than the top 2 percent (by GPA) in the June graduating class shall receive highest honors. No more than the next 4 percent of graduating students shall receive high honors, and no more than the next 10 percent shall receive honors. To be eligible for honors at graduation, a student must have completed 60 or more quarter units of graded courses at the UC. The GPAs used to determine class rank shall be based on courses taken at the UC.

Students may obtain a statement of the specific requirements for graduation with honors from the office of the dean of their college.

University Honors Program For a description of the University Honors Program, see Supplementary Education Programs in the front of this catalog. For a listing of requirements and courses, refer to University Honors Program in the Curricula and Courses section of this catalog.

Academic Integrity

At UCR, honesty and integrity are fundamental values that guide and inform us as individuals and as a community. The culture of academia requires that students take responsibility for learning and for producing products that reflect their intellectual potential, curiosity, and capability. Students must represent themselves truthfully, claim only work that is their own, acknowledge their use of others' words, research results, and ideas, using the methods accepted by the appropriate academic disciplines, and engage honestly in all academic assignments.

Anything less than total commitment to honesty circumvents the contract for intellectual enricment that students have with the university to become an educated person, undermines the efforts of the entire academic community, and diminishes the value of an education for everyone, especially for the person who cheats. Both students and faculty are responsible for insuring the academic integrity of the university.

Academic Misconduct

Chancellors may impose discipline for the commission or attempted commission of academic misconduct including, but not limited to, cheating, fabrication, plagiarism, or facilitating academic dishonesty.

Examples of sanctions that may be imposed include assignment of a lower grade, assignment of a failing grade, required participation in educational activities, disciplinary probation, or being dismissed from the university. The level of sanction depends on the violation committed. Procedures for review of misconduct and imposition of sanctions can be obtained from the Dean of Students at

A student officially notified of alleged academic misconduct may not withdraw from the course where misconduct is believed to have occurred, until the determination of responsibility is made and any sanctions are imposed. A sanction for a violation of academic integrity that affects the course grade will be imposed. The student may not avoid the imposition of a sanction by withdrawing from a course. If the student is found not responsible for academic misconduct, the student will be permitted to withdraw from the course with a grade of "W."

Academic Misconduct Defined

Academic misconduct is any act that does or could improperly distort student grades or other student academic records. The following examples of academic misconduct are provided to assist students in developing an understanding of the university's expectations, recognizing that no set of written guidelines can anticipate all types and degrees of violations of academic integrity. To the extent that the examples provided are not exhaustive, duly appointed representatives of the university wll judge each case according to its merits.

Misunderstanding of the appropriate academic conduct will not be accepted as an excuse for academic misconduct. If students are in doubt about appropriate academic conduct in a particular situation, they should consult with the instructor in the course to avoid the serious charge of academic misconduct.


• copying from another student's examination, quiz, laboratory work, or homework assignment

• possession or use of pre-prepared notes or other resources, in any form, during an examination, unless such use is expressly authorized by the instructor

• revising a work after its final evaluation and representing the revised version as being the original work

• using external assistance, including but not limited to tutors, books, notes, and calculators, on any in-class or take-home examination, unless the instructor specifically has authorized external assistance

• allowing someone else to conduct one's research or to prepare one's work without advance authorization from the instructor to whom the work is being submitted

• unauthorized use of electronic instruments, such as cell phones, pagers, or PDAs, to access or share information

• submitting for academic advancement an item of academic work that the same student has previously submitted for academic advancement, without prior authorization from the faculty member supervising the work


• using another's work without giving credit

• copying the language, structure, or ideas of another and attributing (explicitly or implicitly) the work to one's own efforts

• reproducing another person's work, with or without that person's knowledge or permission, whether published or unpublished, including but not limited to original ideas, strategies, and research, art, graphics, computer programs, music, and other creative expression. The work may consist of writing, charts, pictures, graphs, diagrams, data, Web sites, or other communication or recording media, and may include sentences, phrases, and innovative terminology, formatting, or other representations.

• submitting as one's own any academic exercise prepared totally or in part by another

• copying information from computer-based sources, i.e., the Internet

• allowing another person to substantially alter or revise one's work and submitting it as one's own

• using another's written ideas or words without properly acknowledging the source. The term "source" includes published works (books, magazines, newspapers, Web sites, plays, movies, photos, paintings, and textbooks) and unpublished sources (class lectures or notes, handouts, speeches, casual conversation, other students' papers, or material from a research service).

• failure to acknowledge study aids such as Cliffs Notes or common reference sources

• unauthorized use of another person's data in completing a computer exercise or other class work

Unauthorized Collaboration

• working with other students to do lab work, review books, or develop a presentation or report without permission from the instructor to do so

• making lab data available to a student who did not attend the lab

• jointly calculating homework problems without professorial permission

• having someone else help rewrite a paper

• sharing sources for a take-home exam

• working in a group on a lab assignment without professorial permission

• debugging another's computer program without professorial permission

• submitting a group assignment, or allowing that assignment to be submitted, representing that the project is the work of all of the members of the group when not all of the group members assisted substantially in its preparation

Facilitating Academic Dishonesty

• intentionally or knowingly helping or attempting to help another student to commit an act of academic misconduct

• giving unauthorized assistance to another or others during a test or evaluation, including allowing someone to copy from a test or examination, or arranging with others to give or receive answers via signals

• providing specific information about a recently given test, examination, or assignment to a student who thereby gains an unfair advantage in an academic evaluation

• substituting for another student in order to meet a course or graduation requirement

• providing aid to another person, knowing such aid is expressly prohibited by the instructor, in the research, preparation, creation, writing, performing, or publication of work to be submitted for academic evaluation

• permitting one's academic work to be represented as the work of another

• signing in other students for class attendance

Interference or Sabotage

• destroying, stealing, changing, or damaging another's lab experiment, computer program, term paper, exam, or project

• removing, defacing, damaging, hoarding or displacing library materials with the effect that others have undue difficulty using them

• interfering with the operation of a computer system so it has an adverse effect on the academic performance of others

• damaging computer equipment (including disks) or laboratory equipment in order to alter or prevent the evaluation of academic work


• falsifying the results of any laboratory or experimental work or fabricating any data or information

• crediting source material that was not used for research

• falsifying, altering, or misstating the contents of documents or other materials related to academic matters, including but not limited to schedules, prerequisites, transcripts, attendance records, or university forms

• giving false reasons (in advance or after the fact) for failure to complete academic work, including but not limited to giving false excuses to a faculty member or to any university official for failure to attend an exam or to complete academic work

• giving false information or testimony in connection with any investigation or hearing under this policy

Failure to Comply with Research Regulations

• failure to comply with research regulations such as those applying to human subjects, laboratory animals, and standards of safety


• retaliation of any kind against a person who reported or provided information about suspected or alleged misconduct and who has not acted in bad faith